The Tuscaloosa Bicentennial Commission will host a community-wide book discussion at the Tuscaloosa Federal Building and United States Courthouse on Thursday, November 21, from 5:30 – 7:30 p.m. The Commission has been encouraging Tuscaloosans to read Tuscaloosa: 200 Years in the Makingby G. Ward Hubbs this year in anticipation of this event. Originally slated to take place on September 22, the event was cancelled and has been rescheduled for next Thursday.
A community book experience answers the
questions: What might happen if all of Tuscaloosa read the same book? And
how might Tuscaloosa’s future be even better than its past if Tuscaloosans
studied the history of our city together? The 200th
anniversary of the city’s founding is the perfect time to read this landmark
history published to coincide with the city’s bicentennial year.
The event will be an evening of fun and education, surrounded by the 14 gorgeous murals by artist Caleb O’Connor depicting Tuscaloosa’s history. The event will feature author Guy Hubbs in lively conversation with Don Noble about Tuscaloosa’s history and the landmark events that define our community. Signed books will be available after the program and light refreshments will be served.
Lavishly illustrated and containing an impressive amount of research, Tuscaloosa: 200 Years in the Making is the first comprehensive history of our city. Published by The University of Alabama Press, the book is a versatile history that will be of interest to a general readership, for scholars to use as a starting point for further research, and for city and county school students to better understand their home locale.
Copies of the book are available for purchase at local booksellers and online retailers. It may also be checked out at all branch locations of the Tuscaloosa Public Library.
Follow the Tuscaloosa 200 Events page at www.tuscaloosa200.com for more details about our Community Book Experience and events that will continue throughout the end of Tuscaloosa Bicentennial year.
Military historian, professor, and UAP author Dr. John H. Morrow, Jr. is the 13th recipient of the Pritzker Military Museum & Library Literature Award for Lifetime Achievement in Military Writing.
The Pritzker Literature Award—which includes a gold medallion, citation, and $100,000 honorarium—recognizes and honors the contributions of a living author for a body of work dedicated to enriching the understanding of military history and affairs. Museum & Library Founder & Chair Jennifer N. Pritzker, a retired colonel in the Illinois National Guard, will formally present Morrow with the award at the organization’s annual Liberty Gala on November 2 at the Hilton Chicago, where he will be joined by past recipients.
UAP is proud to have published Morrow’s The Great War in the Air: Military Aviation from 1909 to 1921. This volume is a comprehensive study of the totality of the air war in its military, political, industrial, and cultural aspects and provides a complete understanding of the development of air power and its role in the Great War.
Morrow’s other works includes The Great War: An Imperial History, Harlem’s Rattlers and the Great War (co-authored with Jeffrey T. Sammons)and German Airpower in World War I, among others. He has gained recognition for his ability to demonstrate how the past and the present intertwine inextricably.
“I am truly honored to accept the 2019 Pritzker Military Museum & Library
Literature Award for Lifetime Achievement in Military Writing,” said Dr. Morrow.
“Receiving the award after nearly fifty years of historical writing, teaching,
and consulting constitutes the ultimate affirmation of my career as a scholar
of the history of modern war and society.”
Now in its thirteenth year, the Pritzker Literature Award was first presented to historian James McPherson in 2007. Past recipients – several of whom served as members of the award’s 2019 screening committee – are Dennis Showalter, Peter Paret, Sir Hew Strachan, David Hackett Fischer, Sir Antony Beevor, Tim O’Brien, Max Hastings, Carlo d’Este, Rick Atkinson, Gerhard Weinberg, and Allan Millet.
A graduate of the Swarthmore College and the
University of Pennsylvania and a recipient of the U.S Department of the Army Outstanding
Civilian Service Medal, Morrow has been a guiding force for the study of
history for numerous military and civic institutions. In addition to serving as
the Franklin Professor and Chair of the History Department at University of
Georgia where he teaches courses on the history of Modern Europe and of warfare
and society, Morrow has also contributed to the education of faculty and
students at the National War College, the Air War College, and the U.S.
Military Academy at West Point. Morrow was previously head of the history
department at the University of Tennessee. Following his successful teaching
career, the university named in his honor a lecture series and an award for
Excellence in military history. He has chaired the History Advisory Committee
to the Secretary of the Air Force, the Research Advisory Committee of the
National Museum of American History. He has most recently served on the History
Advisory Committee of the Department of the Army, the Dwight D. Eisenhower
Memorial Commission’s Legacy Committee, and the First Flight Centennial Federal
The Pritzker Literature Award is sponsored by
the Pritzker Military Foundation. To learn more about the award or the
selection process, or to watch the 2010 Literature Award recipient, Rick
Atkinson, announce John Morrow, Jr. as this year’s winner, visit pritzkermilitary.org.
ABOUT THE PRITZKER MILITARY MUSEUM & LIBRARY
The Pritzker Military Museum & Library is
open to the public and features an extensive collection of books, artifacts,
and rotating exhibits covering many eras and branches of the military. From its
founding in 2003, it is a center where citizens and soldiers come together to
learn about military history and the role of the military in a democracy. The
Museum & Library is a non-partisan, non-government information center
supported by its members and sponsors.
As the Allied forces stormed Norman beaches and fought their way inland, they needed logistical support including food, clothing, guns and ammunition. Between June 7 and June 18, 1944, two floating harbors of British origin, code-named “Mulberries,” were assembled in the waters of Vierville-sur-mer and Arromanches in order to service their supply needs until the major port city Cherbourg was captured. Originally, each harbor consisted of roughly six miles of flexible steel roadways that floated on pontoons girded in steel and concrete, comprising about 31,000 tons of steel. The harbors were fabricated in secrecy in Britain and floated into position immediately after D-Day. Massive piers provided access to the beach, and the artificial harbors were sheltered from the sea by lines of massive sunken caissons (some which are still visible today), sunken ships, and floating breakwaters. The shelter consisted of concrete caissons (also known as “Phoenixes”) sunk in line offshore, as well as floating steel tanks of cruciform shape (“Bombardons”) moored about three miles off to sea. The uploading facilities (“Whales”) consisted of floating pier-heads, which adjusted to the ebb and flow of the tide; these were connected to the shore by roadways that were laid on floats and secured to moorings attached to anchors in the seabed.6 A violent hurricane destroyed the port off Omaha Beach on June 19, 1944, and afterwards, its still-operable parts were towed to Arromanches, to the British-operated Mulberry, which was in use for ten months. The British harbor landed 2.5 million men, 500,000 vehicles, and 4 million tons of goods.7
The floating harbors figure importantly, albeit indirectly, to French memory of D-Day. In 1946, the United States government agreed to give the salvageable materials of Omaha Beach’s inoperable floating harbor to France, for the purpose of resale and profit, ostensibly to be used for France’s reconstruction. The French government instead decided to dedicate the profits to multiple projects whose goal was to commemorate D-Day. Two hundred workers operated out of Vierville-sur-mer between 1949 and 1955, eventually packing up a total of 28,000 tons of scrap metal.8 The materials were then sold off, creating a profit of 180 million francs (in 2016, $42,835,518).9 This enormous sum was placed under the care of Raymond Triboulet (1906–2006), the sous-préfet (a French political position equivalent to mayor) of Bayeux and a devoted supporter of Charles De Gaulle. Because France is around the geographical size of the state of Texas, mayors, even of small towns like Bayeux, had considerable clout.
Under Triboulet’s direction, the Comité du débarquements, or D-Day Commemoration Committee, was established on May 22, 1945, and in coordination with American, British, and Canadian governments, this committee has helped to organize most of the ceremonies commemorating D-Day in Normandy.10 Comprised of the mayors of the small villages which dot the coastline where the Allies assaulted the beaches, the committee remains to this day the longest lasting and most effective organization in France serving the memory of D-Day.11 Most importantly, the committee facilitated the preservation of the D-Day beaches by deeming them historic under the law. French law of May 21, 1947, outlined the responsibilities of the D-Day Commemoration Committee; according to this law, vestiges of the floating harbor off Arromanches were preserved as a historic site. By contrast, lacking a preservation law pertaining to the Mediterranean assault in August 1944, vestiges of the battle which was led from Toulon to Saint Raphael are no longer visible. This stretch of coastline comprises the region known as the French Riviera and has long since been developed into commercial and residential real estate.
The D-Day Commemoration Committee’s projects in Normandy began with ten almost identical Signal Monuments, the first of which was established in 1950. Another early major commemorative effort was the marking of La Voie de la Liberté, or Liberty Highway. The committee put into place hundreds of cylindrical, cream-colored, stout kilometer markers bearing a design of the eternal flame along the routes taken by the Allied forces to liberate France.12 The third early project was the posting of signs bearing names of soldiers killed on various roads, first established in 1951 and then constructed of more durable enamel and reflective material in 1958.13 In 1957, 2 million francs (then about $475,950) was allocated to the construction of eighty-six panels of this permanent signage in Manche along service routes of the landings where American soldiers were killed. The signs still exist today and most are in remarkably good condition
. . .
The D-Day Commemoration Committee was the most highly
organized French effort to participate in establishing collective memory of
WWII. Their projects reveal the significant role of place in D-Day memory. This
is a key and defining characteristic of French remembrance; there is the sense
that “you have to be there in order to understand.” D-Day memory in
France, by virtue of that nation being the battlefield, is innately driven by a
sense of place and the historical value of that place. The experiential quality
of material culture like monuments whose messages are inherently wrapped up in
their locations should not be underestimated. Before the blockbuster movies,
these monuments served to remind people of Omaha la
sanglante, or “Bloody Omaha,” known as such from visceral memories
of the waters colored red from blood.
. . .
The Signal Monuments reflect the official, government-sponsored memory of D-Day in France. Official culture, as historian John Bodnar defines it, involves the cultural leaders and authorities in society concerned with social unity, continuity of existing institutions, and loyalty to the status quo.15 Official culture relies on dogmatic formalism and the restatement of reality in ideal rather than complex or ambiguous terms. These monuments were not sufficient as places of pilgrimage for a people devastated by war. Instead, as Chapter 1 explains, Normans appropriated Allied war cemeteries as places through which to channel and understand their own traumas. Otherwise, Normans covertly dealt with their own difficult and complex war history, in the context of political and social upheaval and even interpersonal violence.
Houvel, quoted in La Renaissance, “On ne savait pas ce qu’il se
passait,” June 6, 1994. The decision to use floating ports was made during
the meeting of the members of the D-Day Commemoration Committee September 8,
1949. See “Amenagement des plages du débarquement allié en Normandie,”
Archives of the Comité du Débarquement, Bayeux, Normandy, France.
“Monuments Signaux,” Archives of the Comité du Débarquement, Bayeux,
11. The master
list kept by the committee reveals the most important political figures and
associations for the memory of D-Day; among this list are approximately
eighteen other important and viable associations that have sustained effective
remembrance efforts, including groups like l’Association
Nationale des Enfants et Petits-enfants des évadés et Rescapés du Vel d’Hiv 16
juillet 1942 and l’Association franco-américaine des aérodromes normands de la
9e US Air Force.
12. For Comité
du Débarquement and tourism, see Sam Edwards,
“Commemoration and Consumption in Normandy, c. 1945–1994” in War Memory and Popular Culture: Essays on Modes of
Remembrance and Commemoration, ed. M. Keren and
H. H. Holger (Jefferson, NC: McFarland, 2009), 76–91. Edwards attributes the
initial idea for the Voie de la
Liberté to French officer Guy de la Vesselais,
who though the road would “pay ‘homage’ to the ‘traditional fraternity of
the Franco-American armies.'” See Edwards, “Commemoration,” 78. For
symbolism of the Voie de la Liberté, see Edwards, Allies in
“Monuments Signaux,” Archives of the Comité du Débarquement, Bayeux,
15. For the role of official culture in
public memory, see John Bodnar, Remaking
America: Public Memory, Commemoration, and Patriotism in the Twentieth Century (Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press, 1992), 13–20.
Kate Clarke Lemay is a historian at the National Portrait Gallery, Smithsonian Institute, Washington, DC. Her research honors include an IIE Fulbright research grant and two grants from the Terra Foundation in American Art.
Watch Lemay’s recent book talk at the Wilson Center here.