The University of Alabama Press was founded in the fall of 1945 with J. B. McMillan as founding director. The Press’s first work was Roscoe Martin’s New Horizons in Public Administration, which appeared in February 1946. In 1964, the Press joined the Association of American University Presses.
As the scholarly publishing arm of the university, The University of Alabama Press serves as an agent in the advancement of learning and the dissemination of scholarship. The Press applies the highest standards to all phases of publishing including acquisitions, editorial, production, and marketing. An editorial board comprised of representatives from all doctoral-degree-granting public universities within Alabama oversees the publishing program. Projects are selected that support, extend, and preserve academic research. The Press also publishes books that foster an understanding of the history and culture of this state and region. The Press publishes in a variety of formats, both print and electronic, and uses short-run technologies to ensure that the works are widely available.
UAP has won numerous awards for its publications over the years, and has developed a solid list of titles in archaeology, public administration, and several areas of literature and history. With a staff of 17, the Press publishes between 70 to 75 books a year and has a backlist of approximately 1,500 titles.
The University of Alabama Press has also fostered several publishing partnerships with such institutions as the Birmingham Museum of Art; Samford University; and The College of Agriculture, the Jule Collins Smith Museum, and the Pebble Hill Center for the Humanities at Auburn University; and serves as the publisher of the Fiction Collective Two (FC2) imprint for experimental fiction.